300 Crescent Court, Suite 1350
Dallas, Texas 75201
Download V Card
Jeffrey S. Hamilton, J.D., LL.M., received his LL.M in Taxation from Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, his J.D. from St. Mary’s University School of Law, and his B.A. from The University of Texas at Austin. Mr. Hamilton is a Chartered Advisor in Philanthropy and is also board certified in Estate Planning and Probate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. Mr. Hamilton counsels clients on matters involving estate planning and wealth preservation, including wills, trusts, estates, income tax relating to trusts and estates, estate, gift and generation-skipping tax, and charitable organizations. This includes developing and implementing innovative estate planning techniques to transfer wealth from an older generation to a younger generation. These techniques often involve the creation of new entities or changes in existing entities, as well as careful consideration of federal and state income, estate and gift tax laws. Mr. Hamilton also advises fiduciaries and beneficiaries in the administration of trusts and estates.
Education & Accreditations
- Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law (2006)
LL.M. in Taxation
Robert Hickman Smellage, Sr. Scholarship Recipient
- St. Mary’s University School of Law (2005)
J.D., Class Rank 27/226, Top 12%
Staff Writer, 2003-2004, St. Mary’s Law Journal
- The University of Texas at Austin (2002)
Member of Longhorn Band
- State Bar of Texas
- Board Certified in Estate Planning and Probate Law
Honors & Awards
- Named one of D Magazine‘s Best Lawyers (2021-2022)
- Named a Texas Rising Star Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters (2019)
Professional Memberships & Designations
- Chartered Advisor in Philanthropy®
- SMU Planned Giving Advisory Council
- The Dallas Foundation Advisory Council
- Southwestern Medical Foundation/UT Southwestern Estate Planning Council
- Dallas Estate Planning Council (Board of Governors 2012-2014)
Publications & Speeches
- Speaker, Texas Multiple Party Accounts – Perks and Perils, FPA DFW Conference (2017).
- Speaker, Understanding the Unrelated Business Income Tax, TSCPA, Nonprofit Organizations Conference (2016).
- Author, Jackson Walker Client Education Alert, IRA Charitable Rollover Made Permanent (2015).
- Author, Jackson Walker Client Education Alert, Supreme Court Approves Same-Sex Marriage: Tax and Legal Implications for Same-Sex Spouses (2015).
- Speaker, Legal Pitfalls of Account Titling and How to Avoid Them, Dallas/Fort Worth Financial Planning Association Breakfast Meeting (2014).
- Author, Jackson Walker Client Education Alert, IRS Takes New Position on IRA 60-Day Rollover (2014).
- Author, Jackson Walker Client Education Alert, IRS Grants Extension of Time to Take Advantage of Portability Election (2014).
- Author, Jackson Walker Client Education Alert, Taking Advantage of Intra Family Loans in a Low Interest Rate Environment (2013).
- Speaker and Author, Estate Planning Under the American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012, Dallas/Fort Worth Financial Planning Association Chapter Meeting (2013).
- Speaker and Author, Formula Allocation Clauses and Installment Sales, 35th Annual Estate Planning and Probate Course, State Bar of Texas (2011).
- Co-Author, FLPs – Late in Life or Broken Ones, Dallas Estate Planning Council (2010).
- Co-Author, First and Second Phase Planning With Special Focus on Intentionally Defective Grantor Trusts, Navitas Planning Summit (2010).
- Speaker, Buy-Sell Agreements, Nuts and Bolts Tax Workshop, State of Texas (2009).
Community Service & Personal Interests
- Dallas Museum of Art DMA Circle
- University of Texas Longhorn Alumni Band
- Dallas Wind Symphony (Board of Trustees 2015-2017)
- Business Council for the Arts’ Leadership Arts Institute (Class of 2014)
- Greater Dallas Youth Orchestra (Past President and Former Board Member)
- Chamber Music International (Past President and Former Board Member)